I did, did I?
I genuinely think that once the main bit is done, I could claim FO. But that’s never the case with granny squares, or in this particular one, granny triangles. Crocheting and joining the motifs is just HALF the work — the easy half.
I always forget about this bit…
Yes. Tidying up and at the same time, securing them to make sure that it won’t just unravel itself when being worn, or washed. I… hate this stage of this project.
It is going to be a boring work, I better scour Ravelry to get a new project to do on the side… Pff….
x ❤ x
That is not the word you want to hear coming from your own mouth (especially) when you were in the middle of the WIP… It usually means that you either have to frog everything and start over, or you have to think how to wing it…
Now, before I admit what the potential disaster is, I would like to explain what’s going on about this crochet WIP.
In the pattern, the individual triangles should have 9.5 cm length in every side, and 8 cm tall from the tip to the base. I know how important it is to make a swatch, especially when the pattern relies on the number of triangles you made — instead of the length of the piece as you knit it. So, I did measure the triangle, twice, and I even adjusted the size of the hook to achieve the correct size.
You know you’re going to hear a but, don’t you? Yes… BUT, I think the pattern did not take the shrinkage of the length caused by the joining of the triangles as you go.
You see? When you were joining the triangles as you go, by making a slip stitch into the chain space of the main piece, you inadvertently pinched a very small bit of the edge. I don’t know if this happens to other crocheter, but when I do this, it will take some milimetre worth of the edge… times twenty triangles.
That’s the problem. In the end, after they’re joined in the round, I realised that the shrinkage on each triangle is then accumulated into a good inch and a half in circumference. I tried it on and it is still loose in my waist and chest so it might fit. I also count on the size after blocking, but I shouldn’t be too confidence that it will be anywhere closer to the size suggested in the pattern.
Yeah… a big whoopsie there 😦 But I think I am going to go through with the WIP, and see…
x ❤ x
I started to like this table cloth/ curtain project, although I am a bit confused with its name. Why is it named “Puritan crochet”? I mean, what does it have anything to do with it? Anyway… it doesn’t matter. I still like it.
Well… I have to be honest, it was slightly confusing to start with because the chains kept twisting, and I am not good in keeping the tension. But after the second and the third squares things are getting a little bit more uniformed.
Now that I learned how to join squares as I go, I wonder why I didn’t learn how to do this much earlier. This reduced the extra work and the extra yarn, because I don’t have to sew it together. And best of all, it is just seamless, because the joint is not at bulky like when it is joined with needles and thread.
No.. I am serious. Look!
I think it will look even more gorgeous once I have blocked the end product.
Anyway, my sister in law came with this new project for me. I have never done this before, and I think it is quite challenging. It is a repair work for her husband’s granny square blanket. I think I have seen some youtube video about how to repair granny square blanket. Let’s see if I could save this blanket 🙂
We do have the wool for the yellow bits, but not yet for the green one. It might me a trip to wool shop to get the right colour. I know.. I know it might be much easier to make a new blanket, but I admire the sentimental value of this blanket. Apparently it was from my brother in law’s nana, as he is the Canary’s biggest fan.
Wish us luck 🙂